Job Title: Truck Welder/Assembler
Department: Utility Department
Welder/Body Install Technician is responsible to perform assembly and installations of custom hitches, frame extensions, truck equipment components and aerial equipment on truck chassis.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY SUMMARY
- Competent use of all shop equipment (iron worker, drills, saws, acetylene torch plasma arc, AC & DC welders, SMAW, GTAW, GMAW, hand and layout tools, operate forklifts, overhead cranes).
- Understand heat and the effects on weldments.
- Check part drawings and parts to be welded.
- Follow procedure and set up to drawings or instructions.
- Positions piece manually, with use of hoist, overhead crane or forklift.
- Prepare surfaces using hand or air chisel, hammer, wire brush or grinder.
- Sets up proper voltage, current, polarity, and gas pressure for procedure.
- Makes required adjustments and changes to assure manufacturing specifications.
- Unloads work manually, with use of hoist, overhead crane and forklift.
- Capable of reading and comprehending blueprints, drawings and weld symbols. Welding all types of fabrications.
- Other duties as assigned by competent authority.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- The employee must have the physical strength, agility, and balance to climb into, on top of, and under the project as necessary. Climbing a ladder may be required at times as well as kneeling for periods of time.
- Climb to 14′ and work at heights of 14′ to 15′.
- Ideal candidate must be able to follow schematics, drawings or blueprints and be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to understand, read and speak the English language.
- Employees are to supply required tools and ANSI approved toe protection footwear.
Education/ Licensure/ Credentials/ Experience
- Preferred: High School Diploma or G.E.D. and certificate from an accredited technical or trade school.
- Required: Good mechanical aptitude, including the ability to use basic hand and measuring tools.
- Preferred: Working knowledge of truck industry with automotive and truck electrical.
Physical Requirements/Hazardous Working Conditions
- Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination
Vision, Sight & Hearing
- Vision-Far Acuity
- Vision-Near Acuity
- Vision-Depth Perception
- Lifting Over 50 lbs.
- Heavy Work
- Temperature Changes
- Hazardous Chemicals
This job description supersedes all previous job descriptions. The job description is intended to be a tool to describe the primary purpose of the job and the KEY duties and responsibilities. The job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required. Management has the right to add to or change the job responsibilities at any time. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
"*" indicates required fields